I think we can all agree that 2020 is a bit of an anomaly that no one expected. From people being locked down in their home for months to staying 2 metres apart from one another, this year has been very different from the rest. This article will go through how crime rates have been affected by this in Leicester as well as some security tips to make sure your property is safe at all times.
Crime Rates in Leicester
When looking at data from October 2019 – September 2020 and comparing it to the previous year, we can see a mix of both bad and good statistics. This past year, public order crimes have been the fastest growing with a 24.7% increase from the previous year. Violent crimes represented 29.5% of all crimes in Leicester reported between October 2018 – September 2019, making it the highest-ranking crime category and in the past year this amount has increased further to 33.6%
It could be argued that since we have been in lockdown, certain other crimes have decreased such as shoplifting by 38.3%, robbery by 23.1% or even burglary by 20.3%. This could be for many reasons such as everyone being stuck in their house for months rather than being outside committing these crimes. These numbers are great to see however it is important not to let your guard down because of it. While these numbers have gone down now, as we start to recover from coronavirus and the world goes back to normal, these numbers may shoot up again and it is important to be prepared when they do.
How To Keep Your Property Safe
Whether it is your home or business, no one wants their property to be broken into. Yes, you can get insurance to cover anything that is stolen, however, it is much better trying to prevent the crime instead. These are some tips that might help you protect your property.
- Add security lighting – Burglars don’t want to be seen or caught, anything that brings attention to them will make them think twice
- Add CCTV – Similarly to the security lighting, CCTV means that burglars are more likely to be caught because there is hard evidence of them committing the crime. This will make them reevaluate their decision
- Adding a burglar alarm – This works through the element of surprise, a loud alarm sound is far from inconspicuous which is why when it sounds a lot of them will run away before anyone sees them or the police get there.
- Difficult Access Points – Make sure that you have secure doors and windows as well as no ladders lying around making it easy for them to get to the upper floors. Burglars look for a quick and easy access point in case they need to escape quickly. Make it as difficult as you can for them and they may decide it isn’t worth it.
- House Sitters – When you are away on holiday, this is a great time for burglars to break-in, as there is no one home so they are much less likely to get caught. Asking your neighbour or a friend to go in every day and maybe switch the lights on or off in the house to make it look like someone is home.
Contact Our Team For Security Advice
If you are looking to improve the security of your property, our team at East Midlands Security and Fire can help. Give us a call on 01455 698 964 or fill out our online contact form for more information.